The Springfield Rescue Mission is a non-profit, Christian based Emergency Shelter, Rehabilitation Program and Transitional Living Facility providing food, clothing, shelter, literacy training and advocacy.
The Springfield Rescue Mission was established in 1892 under the leadership of Julius Cummings, a former Salvation Army Captain. Over the years, the Rescue Mission has faced leadership, organizational and location changes, giving it an interesting history of survival. In its early years, the Springfield Rescue Mission was a strong Christian-based organization, focusing on feeding, sheltering and clothing men living on the streets or traveling from town to town. For the most part, these were men who had abandoned their families and were addicted to alcohol. The Rescue Mission, then and now, reaches out to the least, the last and the lost – meeting physical and spiritual needs through the presentation of the Gospel, relying on God through the public to support our work.
In 1997, the Springfield Rescue Mission acquired the former Cummings Memorial and expanded the ministry to offer more beds for emergency shelter and transitional living programs.
In 2014, it was announced that a casino was soon to be built in Springfield and the Springfield Rescue Mission would need to vacate the two buildings on Bliss Street. The building renovations were complete in September 2015 and the big move to 10 Mill Street began. In December 2015, the Springfield Rescue Mission officially called 10 Mill Street, Springfield home to our Rehabilitation Program, Resource Center and Business Offices.
2013 Net Assets